There are two ways to prepare a tempeh Ruben. The super easy way is to use Turtle Island Foods marinated tempeh strips. The second, if you do not have the pre-marinated tempeh strips, is to make your own. Check our Traditional Tempeh section for that variation on the same recipe.
1- 8 oz package Turtle Island Foods Lemon Pepper marinated tempeh strips.
1 cup sauerkraut
3 Tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (or your choice)
1 Tablespoons ketchup
3 Tablespoons minced pickles or relish
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
Sliced rye or Tuscan bread
A few slices vegan cheese (or your choice)
Olive oil, soy margarine or butter
1. Pan fry marinated tempeh in 1 to 2 Tablespoons HOT oil until golden brown. Cook 1-1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Cast iron pan works best for this.
2. Heat the sauerkraut in a pan or in the microwave.
3. Mix together mayo, ketchup, pickles, lemon juice and blend well.
4. Assemble the sandwich as follows: spread dressing on each piece of bread. Add cooked temeph strips and then a layer of sauerkraut. Add cheese.
5. Pan fry each side of the sandwich in a little olive oil, soy margarine or butter until cheese melts and bread is browned to your desired taste.